A rare mid 19th century burr oak open bookcase of serpentine form retaining the original white shaped marble top. The carcass enriched with gilded decoration. Ex Lotherton Hall, the family seat of the Gascoigne family, which is now a museum. Attached to the Leeds city museum. Stamped Gillows of Lancaster.
The surname Gascoigne derives from Gascony in France. The best-known family of this name believed to have come to England at the time of the Norman Conquest and settled in Yorkshire, although this is not proven.
Colonel Gascoigne inherited Parlington Hall in 1905, but preferred Lotherton Hall. The furnishings and some structural items from Parlington Hall were transferred to Lotherton, after which Parlington was allowed to decay until, apart from the west wing, still standing, it was demolished in a number of stages from around 1911 to 1968. The most prominent artefact removed to Lotherton Hall was the Thomas Banks bas-relief marble of the classic scene Alcyone and Ceyx.
The Gascoignes continued at Lotherton Hall until the death of Sir Alvary Gascoigne, a.k.a. Sir Alvary Douglas Frederick Trench-Gascoigne, (6 August 1893 - 18 April 1970), formerly a British Ambassador to Japan, 1946 - 1951, or rather a Political advisor to Japan, 1946-1951, British Ambassador to Russia, 1951 - 1953, a CMG in 1942, KCMG in 1948, GBE in 1953, whose son, Captain Douglas Wilder Trench-Gascoigne, (11 November 1917 - August 1944) had predeceased him while fighting in WWII, in August 1944.
The property was presented to the City of Leeds for the public benefit and is now open to the public.
Shipping P.O.A. Subject to quotation and will be charged separately. Please contact us for more details. If purchasing online, the shipping price will be shown as zero here but you will be liable for all shipping costs.